Breakfast is my favorite meal. And I am not a “bowl of cereal” for breakfast kind of gal. I like sweet breads, eggs, bacon and coffee. I make baked oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, and rolls too.
I like mornings. I get up, start the coffee, and start baking. It is relaxing and quiet.
This blueberry bread was amazing. I kind of want to name it “Blueberry Pie Bread”
It is the perfect amount of sweet and loaded with fresh berries. The cinnamon strudel on top is just the right combination.
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup buttermillk* see note at bottom
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh blueberries
Cinnamon Strudel Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
2 tsp cinnamon
*If you do not have buttermilk on hand, mix 1 tsp of white vinegar with 1 cup regular milk and let it get thick for about 5 minutes. Then just measure out how much you need. In this recipe, 1/3 cup.*
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8X5 loaf pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together oil, egg, milk, and vanilla.
3. Add in dry ingredients (except berries) and stir only until combined. Batter will be thick and may be a little lumpy.
4. Fold in blueberries gently.
5. Make strudel topping by mixing together ingredients until it resembles sand. I like to just use a fork. Sprinkle strudel on top. You may not need it all…..just top to your liking.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes until done in the center. Top may get dark from the strudel. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan, remove from pan and let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners