On my way to 100 recipes in 100 days. Here is recipe 31.
I know that when eating veggies, it is best to not smother them in fattening toppings and sauces. But this one is too good to pass up…..and, my toddlers loved it. They get all the vitamins and minerals and a little fat to help their bodies absorb that good stuff. And I get a tasty side dish.
I found this recipe on the McCormick website. They have some great suggestions if you are looking to mix up your recipes a bit.
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese, divided
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
16 oz frozen broccoli florets, thawed
16 oz frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cup milk
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp of the parmesan cheese, 2 Tbsp melted butter and 1/2 tsp of the Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until tender.
3. Stir in flour and remaining 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Add in garlic salt and pepper. Add milk and cook while stirring until thickened and bubbly.
4. Stir in cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Stir until melted. Add vegetables and toss gently to coat.
5. Spoon in to baking dish and sprinkle top with crumb mixture.
6. Bake 40 minutes until heated through and top is browned.
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners