There are so many ways to make enchiladas. But after this, I promise that you will agree with me that White Chicken Enchiladas are the very best enchiladas out there! They are a total comfort food, yet not too rich. The flavor is incredible.
These are not your typical enchiladas. Traditionally, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas and a red or green sauce. These are a “whole other thing”….and so so good.
I have a big family and we love to have big Fiesta Night dinners. Tacos, taquitos, nachos, and of course these enchiladas are a must. There are never any leftovers.
I love this recipe. I love how it is simple and such a comfort food.
Here are some reader suggestions of how to create a new twist on it. If you are like me, you need to add a new twist to it when cooking it EVERY.SINGLE.WEEK.
Yes, it is that good. My favorite tip is the gal who just makes a 7 layer taco dip and smothers the whole thing with the yummy sour cream sauce. My two year old just licks her plate.
Welcome, Pinners! Thanks for visiting. There have been hundreds of comments and questions on this recipe so I want to make some of the answers known up front. 🙂 Enjoy the recipe!
1. This recipe calls for diced green chilies. Don’t let that fool you, these are NOT spicy in the least. My 3-year-old and 1-year-old love them.
2. If you would like, you can substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream in the recipe. It is a 1 for 1 substitute.
3. If you cook your chicken first (rather than using a rotisserie chicken), you may want to add some spices to give it extra flavor. I like the chicken to have good flavor. I tend to cook my chicken in the slow cooker with 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tsp garlic powder, and a few shakes of ground black pepper.
4. You can make this ahead and keep it in the fridge up to 24 hours. Just put it in the oven and increase the time a bit. You will want to make sure they are heated through.
5. This sauce does not freeze well. Then enchiladas themselves freeze really well. I freeze a few pans of them double wrapped in foil and then I just make the sauce the day of. Thaw them first, add the sauce, cook according to original instructions.
6. Yes, your friends and family will like their plate and ask for you to bring them to every gathering from here on out.Print
It’s Still All Over Pinterest
White Chicken Enchiladas are ALL the rage, and for good reason. The flavor is incredible. Bold flavor but not spicy. Creamy comfort food, yet not too rich. These are a winner in all categories and will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
10 flour tortillas
2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken *see notes*
2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan.
Mix shredded chicken and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl. Roll up the chicken and cheese mixture into the 10 tortillas and place in pan seam down.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue to stir while cooking for 2 minutes.
Add in the broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly, this will take about 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat on the saucepan and stir in the sour cream and green chilies. Stir well and remove from heat so your sour cream won’t curdle. When it is mixed well, pour your sauce over the enchiladas in the pan.
Top with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese
Bake for 22 minutes and then broil on high for 3 minutes at the end to get the cheese bubbly.
*To make my shredded chicken, I use 4 frozen chicken breast and sprinkle with 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp garlic powder, and ground black pepper (just a bit) and cook on low all day in the slow cooker. Then they easily shred up when you are ready to make dinner*
*For a professional shredding tip, toss your cooked chicken breasts into a stand mixer and mix on low and watch them shred up perfectly before your eyes. You are a dinnertime champion!
Keep up with my current recipes HERE I am always adding new favorites. (find it here first before all your friends find it on Pinterest)
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners