My husband almost always order steak fajitas at our favorite Mexican Restaurant. I don’t make fajitias very often. I know they only take about 15 minutes to make, but those are 15 dedicated minutes over a skillet at the stove. I need to have meal options that I can step away from the stove should I need to help a young one.
This recipe suggested that I cook all of my ingredients on low for 6-8 hours. I knew that I would not like my veggies overly soft and I didn’t want to run the risk of the meat getting dry. So, I chose 4 hours on low (my cooker heats like a dragon and is always on the fast cooking side of the timeline). I loved how tender yet crisp my peppers were and the meat was “fall apart tender”
Next time, I will add some taco seasoning to give it a little stronger flavor, but as it, the recipe really was good.
For those of you with toddlers, you can put the filling in a tortilla like quesadilla. My 2 year old gobbled it down this way. Rolled fajitas are a bit hard for their hands to hold.
Slow Cooker Fajitas (Taste of Home)
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steaks, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place peppers and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with beef. Combine the water, vinegar, lime juice and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, place about 3/4 cup meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 teaspoon cilantro; roll up. Yield: 8 servings.
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners