Apple Pie Bars
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- Vanilla Glaze
- 2 Tbsp half and half (or milk)
- 1 1/4 cup powder sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set pie crusts on counter to come to room temperature.
- Peel, slice and chop apples finely, I like to use my hand chopper.
- Place diced apples in a large mixing bowl and add lemon juice and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir to coat apples.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, granulated and brown sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour flour mixture over apple mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Roll on pie crust in to an even circle. You only need to use your rolling pin a tiny bit to make the dough soft and flexible.
- Place bottom crust on an ungreased cookie sheet making sure the edges don’t hang off.
- Spoon apple mixture over bottom crust leaving 1/2 inch boarder on the edges.
- Roll out second pie crust lightly and place on top of apple mixture. Fold together the edges and press to seal.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar mix if you like.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for atleast 30 minutes before cutting in to bars.
- Drizzle with glaze or serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Store bars in refrigerator in an airtight container.