- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 lb fresh raspberries, washed
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
*2 lbs additional fresh raspberries for garnish*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mash 1 lb fresh raspberries with a potato masher and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp sugar. Let sit while you make the cake. They will get nice and juicy.
- To prepare cake, place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition.
- Pour batter into 2 (8X8) cake pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, place 2 tablespoons butter and the next 4 ingredients (2 tablespoons butter through cream cheese) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, and beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat). Chill 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and mashed berries. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries and store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light APRIL 2002
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners