On my way to 100 recipes in 100 days. Here is recipe 38: Broccoli and Pepper Jack Cheese Soup!
My husband went out to lunch with a friend a few weeks ago and had broccoli cheese soup. He said it was amazing and that it was made with pepper jack cheese. Challenge accepted. I HAD to replicate that recipe. I wanted to surprise him and he eagerly ate his whole bowl and proclaimed that it was definitely as good at the restaurant. I thanked him for keeping my self esteem so high.
I used The Pioneer Womans Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe as a base and adjusted per her recommendations to make it to my taste specifications. Ree Drummond has it down when it come to delicious things in the kitchen
“Hello you saucy bowl of delicious goodness. Join me for dinner won’t you?”
Broccoli and Pepper Jack Cheese Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
½ cup butter
⅓ cup flour
4 cups whole milk
2 cups half-and-half
4 heads broccoli, cut into florets
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups grated pepper jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1. Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over top and stir. Cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add in milk and half-and-halt. Add the nutmeg, broccoli, and a dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
4. Transfer hot soup to a large blender and puree just for a moment. Transfer back to pot and continue to heat. Stir in chicken broth.
5. Stir in cheese until melted and serve is a large bowl or bread bowl. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
* You can skip the bending part if you would rather mash the broccoli pieces or if you prefer a thinner soup and large pieces of broccoli. If you do this, you may consider leaving out the chicken broth all together*
Liked my Broccoli and Pepper Jack Cheese Soup? Meet my 7 Favorite Soup Recipes