I have a favorite recipe for chicken pot pie and I found a new recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup. So, I spent the afternoon combining the two and then adjusting as I was cooking dinner. It was a fun experiment and turned out really tasty. As with all soups, I am willing to bet this is fabulous the second day for leftovers.
My mother-in-law taught me to use celery leaves from the center of the celery bunch to flavor soups, stuffing, and gravy. It was a delicious addition here. I also think these leaves smell really good.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup butter
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp celery leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp poultry seasoing
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 cups water
4 cans chicken broth
2 cups half and half
2 cups yukon gold potatoes, diced
25 oz mixed vegetables, frozen (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute chicken until no longer pink. Use slotted spoon to remove chicken to a bowl to set aside, leaving juices in pot.
2. Add onion, celery, garlic, celery leaves, poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and flour. Stir while it thickens to a roux and let cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add water, broth, half and half, and potatoes. Let simmer on low 20 minutes
4. Add chicken back in along with frozen veggies. Salt and pepper to taste and let simmer another 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve with pie crust wedges (recipe following)
Pie Crust Wedges
1 package pie crust (refrigerated)
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Roll out pie crusts (2 of them) and sprinkle each crust with 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning, spread with fingers. Cut each crust in to 8 wedges.
3. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 9-11 minutes until golden and puffy.
Liked my Chicken Pot Pie Soup? Try the Creamy Chicken Soup
↓↓↓ And don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family! ↓↓↓