Kids lunch. Sometimes we eat leftovers, sometimes we have a sandwich, and sometimes it is more of a snack lunch. Today though, I wanted to make a lunch since I had a little extra help around the house. This was yummy and will make a great leftover lunch for tomorrow too.
I made myself a different “mom lunch” but the girls enjoyed their bowls of noodles.
8 oz diatalini pasta
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
4 Tbs butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese ( I used cheddar)
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water, to al dente. 10-12 minutes
2. While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.
3. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar and butter. Heat while stirring until the butter is melted.
4. Stir in the milk slowly and turn down heat to low. Let simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so as not to scald the milk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
6. Drain pasta and put in a serving bowl. Pour in as much tomato sauce as desired. Stir.
*To make this extra convenient, make a double batch and freeze it. Microwave to reheat.
*recipe found at penniesonaplatter.com
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners