This is the recipe for the most AMAZING White Chicken Enchiladas. I originally shared this recipe in 2011 and it has since gone viral all over Pinterest and Facebook. We will make these all the time and my friends and family love them. You really won’t find a better meal that is always a crowd pleaser.
Welcome Pinners! Thanks for visiting. There have been hundreds of comments and questions on this recipe so I want to make some of the answers known up front. 🙂 Enjoy the recipe!
1. This recipe calls for diced green chilies. Don’t let that fool you, these are NOT spicy in the least. My 3 year old and 1 year old love them.
2. If you would like, you can substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream in the recipe. It is a 1 for 1 substitute.
3. If you cook your chicken first (rather than using a rotisserie chicken), you may want to add some spices to give it extra flavor. I like the chicken to have good flavor. I tend to cook my chicken in the slow cooker with some ground cumin, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.
4. You can make this ahead and keep it in the fridge up to 24 hours. Just put it in the oven and increase the time a bit. You will want to make sure they are heated through.
5. This sauce does not freeze well. Then enchiladas themselves freeze really well. I freeze a few pans of them double wrapped in foil and then I just make the sauce the day of. Thaw them first, add the sauce, cook according to original instructions.
6. Yes, your friends and family will like their plate and ask for you to bring them to every gathering from here on out.Print
I’ve Gone VIRAL!! Amazing White Chicken Enchiladas
White Chicken Enchiladas are ALL the rage, and for good reason. The flavor is incredible. Bold flavor but not spicy. Creamy comfort food, yet not too rich. These are a winner in all categories and will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
10 flour tortillas
2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken *see notes*
2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can (4oz) diced green chilies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 pan and set aside.
Mix shredded chicken and 1 cup of the cheese in a bowl. Roll up the chicken into the 10 tortillas and place seam down in the prepared pan.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and stir while cooking for 2 minutes.
Add in the broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. This will take about 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat on the saucepan and stir in the sour cream and green chilies. Stir well and remove from heat so your sour cream won’t curdle. When it is mixed well, pour your sauce over the enchiladas in the pan.
Top with the remaining 1 1/2 cup cheese.
Bake for 22 minutes and then broil on high for 3 minutes at the end to get the cheese bubbly.
To make my shredded chicken, I use 4 frozen chicken breasts and sprinkle with 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp garlic powder, and ground black pepper (just a bit) and cook on low in my slow cooker all day. Then they easily shred up when you are ready to make dinner.
For a professional shredding tip, toss your cooked chicken breasts into a kitchen aid mixer and mix on low and watch them shred up perfectly before your eyes. You are a dinnertime champion!
Keep up with my current recipes HERE I am always adding new favorites. (find it here first before all your friends find it on Pinterest)
Get Your FREE Cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook of One Skillet Dinners