I really enjoy when readers ask for recipes. If it is a recipe that I have, I am happy to share. My twin sister really likes Chicken and Dumplings. I don’t remember eating it growing up, but when my sis made me some a few years ago, I was hooked.
This is a great meal to make on a chilly day. While you are at it, double it and stick the rest in the freezer for the next cool day.
Chicken and Dumplings (Freezer Meal)
For the Soup:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1″ cubes
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
10 cups chicken broth (seems like a lot, but trust me….its ok)
2 cups carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp ground thyme
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, put 1 tsp vinegar in measuring cup and fill with milk to make 3/4 cup. Let it set to get thick)
1. In large soup pot, sauté chicken and onion over medium heat until chicken is browned, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add celery and sauté.
3. Add 1/4 cup flour, then slowly add chicken broth, carrots and thyme, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat, simmering for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally.
4. While simmering, prepare dumplings by mixing together flour and baking powder. Slowly add buttermilk, stirring well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
5. Once it is finished simmering, drop dough by the tablespoon-full into chicken stew mixture. Cover again and finish cooking over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until dumplings are fully cooked.
6. Enjoy this warm comforting meal. To freeze, just cool and freeze in freezer bags or freezer containers. On cooking day, just thaw and reheat. This will keep 3-4 months in the freezer.
Liked my Chicken and Dumplings? Read my Top 5 Freezer Meals recipe
↓↓↓ And don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family! ↓↓↓