Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars:
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you may have noticed that I love desserts with chocolate and peanut butter. Possibly my favorite are O'Henry Bars (or whatever you call them). When I have sent treats to work with my husband, I think the most popular so far has been the Crispy Peanut Butter Balls. Today's recipe is actually the product of a few mistakes. But it turned out so well, I knew I had to share it.
I found a recipe on Baking Blonde and thought I had all the ingredients. Turns out I was short a few things, but this recipe lent well to substitutions. The second mistake I made was in the assembly of the bars, I have 3 kids under the age of 4.......a gal is bound to have a reading error here and there with the extra chaos. Anywho....these turned out so yummy so I am keeping my "mistakes" and adding this one to my favorites in my cookbook.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal BarsBy
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9X13 pan with aluminum foil and spray with PAM.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar, soda, oatmeal, flour, salt and peanut butter.
- Set aside 1 ½ cup of the dough in a separate bowl.
- Press the rest of the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread sweetened condensed milk on top of warm crust. Drop remaining dough by small spoonfuls on to sweet milk. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Return to oven for 8 more minutes until top is golden and chips are starting to get soft.
- Allow bars to cool completely before cutting.
Liked Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars? Try Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies