If you follow me on social media @Joyfulmomma, you have seen this picture. Look at that Perfect Cheese Sauce. And this recipe does not use Velveeta! Score! My girls get so excited when I tell them I am making cheese sauce. I serve it over noodles, on veggies, and as a dip for crackers and chips.
My gram makes such yummy cheese sauce and whenever I would asker her how to make it, she would just tell me “make a roux, and then add milk and cheese.” I was needing specific measurements and cooking times…..so I set out to get it perfected and tasting just like hers. In true Joyful Momma fashion, I added my own twist and included powdered mustard in the recipe. YUM!Print
Perfect Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup flour and stir continuously. Let bubble for 2 minutes while stiring with a whisk.
- Pour in 2 cups milk and whisk for 1 minute on medium heat until it thickens.
- Turn heat to low and stir in shredded cheese.
- Season with ground mustard, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Stir until mixed well and cheese is fully melted.
- This recipe is the perfect amount to use with 1 lb cooked pasta.
Liked this recipe? Try my Queso Blanco
And don’t forget to share it with the world!