Take your fiesta to another level by smothering these beef and bean burritos in a sour cream and green chili sauce. I love this sauce. I want to smother all my fiesta dinners in this sauce. If you like to turn up the heat, add diced jalapeños and rejoice!Print
Smothered Beef and Bean Burritos
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 3 cans (4 oz each) diced green chilis
- 1 can (30 oz) refried beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12–15 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives for garnish
- Cook the ground beef and dried minced onion in a large skillet on medium heat until browned. When it is almost done, add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, and one can diced green chilis.
- When beef is browned, stir in refried beans and water. Remove from heat, stir to combine and cover with lid.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk together. Cook for one full minute while bubbling. Slowly stir in the chicken broth. Let come to a bubble and continue stirring for 5-10 minutes until it thickens enough to coat the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and 2 cans diced green chilis.
- To assemble the burritos, spread about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture down the center of the tortillas and top with 2-3 Tbsp of shredded cheese. Fold up two ends and then roll in to a burrito.
- Place burritos in a pan and then smother with the sour cream green chili sauce.
- Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and any extra cheese.