There are few things as inviting as the smell of warm bread fresh from the oven. I am all about making memories and smells are definitely related to that. I love when I can surprise my girls with the aroma of a warm sweet bread when they wake from their nap in the afternoon. This Buttermilk Banana Bread is such a treat and since it makes 3 loaves, I like to put a different topping on each one. This is sure to become your new favorite quick bread recipe.
I adapted this recipe from one I was given by a friend. She always brought me treats when she knew I was learning to cook and bake. Would you believe it if I told you that when I got married 7 1/2 years ago I didn’t even know how to brown hamburger??!! Now look at me go!
If you have bananas that are getting over ripe, just peel them and put them in a freezer bag. When you have 6 in the freezer, just thaw them and whip up this recipe. You can wrap this bread in cling wrap and then foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Just the perfect thing to have on hand when you have company drop in. Did you also know that you can freeze buttermilk? When I have a little left in my carton, I freeze it in an ice cube tray in 2 Tablespoon portions. Perfect for having buttermilk on hand and not having to throw out the last bits.Print
Buttermilk Banana Bread
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening, Crisco makes this
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp buttermilk
- 6 mashed, overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 bread pans.
- Cream together Crisco and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add in flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk Mix well.
- Fold in mashed bananas.
- Pour batter in to prepared bread pans. Bake for 1 hour and test center with toothpick to make sure its done.
- Let cool in pans for 20 minutes before removing to wire cooling rack.
- Try this with cream cheese spread on top. Delicious!
Liked the Buttermilk Banana Bread? Then try The PERFECT Banana Bread