My daughters have declared that they just LOVE pot roast. And Sunday is the day for pot roast around here. I've been cooking a roast every Sunday for the last 2 ½ months. This week we had a lovely 80 degree day, so a heavy meal of pot roast and potatoes just didn't sound right. So, I decided I would make French Dip Sandwiches with my "Secret Ingredient AuJu" These were amazing and my husband had seconds. My girls are calling them pot roast sandwiches, and Verity wants one in her lunch tomorrow.
When you are choosing a roast at the store, make sure you pick a really ugly chuck roast. The uglier, the more tender it will be. I served the tender meat on Demi French Baguettes. I found them in the bakery aisle and they worked perfect. Top these with provolone cheese and you are all set. The Au Ju is so easy to make and has an ingredient you wouldn't guess. I make my Au Ju after taking the meat out of the crock pot and just let it sit in the crock and heat. This is a very fast dinner to put together since the roast cooks all day. Just 15 minutes to get it all on the table.Print
French Dip and “Secret Ingredient AuJu”
- 3-5 lb boneless chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup brown gravy mix
- ¼ cup worschestersire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup HOT water
- 1 Tbsp brown or yellow mustard
- 4-6 Demi French Baguettes or Hoaggie Rolls
- Provolone cheese, sliced
- butter (¼ cup), soft
- Place roast in bottom of slow cooker.
- Whisk together 1 cup water, ⅓ cup brown gravy mix, ¼ cup worschestersire sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Pour mix over roast.
- Turn slow cooker to low and let cook 6-8 hours (until it falls apart)
- When roast is done and falls apart, take out in to a seperate bowl and shred with two forks.
- Skim the grease off the top of the drippings in the slow cooker and set aside.
- Add ½ cup HOT water and 1 tablespoon mustard to the slow cooker drippings and whisk together. Turn slow cooker to high and let heat until ready to serve.
- Cut your bread in half lengthwise and lightly butter. Brown on a hot skillet just until golden.
- Assemble your sandwiches with shredded roast and provolone cheese. Serve with Au Ju.
Liked the French Dip? Try my Artichoke Dip Bruschetta