Caramel Apple Cake. I love Caramel Apple Anything! This is made in the same fashion as Texas Sheet Cake and Sour Cream Sheet Cake. You start with the dry ingredients. Heat up the wet ingredients on the stove top.....and combine to make the magic happen. This cake is wonderful and even better on the second day. There are fresh green apples throughout and caramel in the buttered icing. Delish!
These Kraft Caramel Bits work really well in this recipe because they melt quickly. I have a favorite recipe for homemade caramel sauce but these worked nicely to add a touch of carmel to the icing.
Make this in the morning before serving at dinner time, or make this after dinner to serve with your Sunday lunch. Letting the icing set on the warm cake and take its time to soak in is really the key. Don't get me wrong. It is very good still warm from the pan with dripping icing, but it is Ah-Mazing after the two sit and marinate for about 10 hours.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups peeled and diced green apples
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup Kraft Caramel Bits
- 6 tablespoon whole milk
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir with whisk.
- In a medium sauce pan, add butter, water and shortening. Heat over medium heat until butter and shortening melt and bring to a boil.
- After mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add buttermilk, baking soda, eggs, and vanilla in that order mixing between each addition.
- Stir in apples.
- Grease a 15X13 jelly roll or bar pan. Pour in mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake at 400 Degrees for 20 minutes Let cool on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While cake cools, make the frosting. Combine the butter, caramel bits, and milk in a glass measuring cup. Heat in 30 second increments stiring and heating until the butter and caramel are all melted. Add in the powdered sugar and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Pour frosting over warm cake and let cool completely before serving.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Liked my Caramel Apple Cake? Try the Maple Apple Cake Bars