I am back! Thankfully my morning sickness is becoming less and less and I actually want to think about food again. Yesterday I had quite a hankering for my step-mom’s Cherry Pie Squares. I change these a bit only in the fact that I like to use 2 cans of pie filling. I LOVE cherries!
While making the crust from scratch may seem a bit tedious, it really is the only thing to making these. You use canned cherry pie filling, so these take no time at all to whip up.
Look at these beauties! I love to eat them warm fresh out of the oven when they are gooey. And I also love them cold out of the fridge for a mid morning snack.
Photographing this little treat was tricky. It was hard for several reasons. I know that I should have photographed them cold so that they would hold their shape better and stack well, but I was not about to let them sit long enough before diving in. Also, my family was smacking their lips just as I was…..they too were not about to wait.
I had to be VERY quick, thus the lack of really excellent shots. They slid apart quickly. But oh they tasted so so good!!
Cherry Pie SquaresBy
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cans 21oz each Cherry Pie filling
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a bar pan with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and milk. Mix well to form a dough. Divide in to 2 balls.
- Roll one ball on a floured surface to the size of the bar pan. Lay in pan as bottom crust.
- Spread Cherry Pie filling over bottom crust.
- Roll out second ball of dough just like the first and lay on top of pie filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and edges.
- Make glaze using just enough powdered sugar to make a thin, spreadable glaze. Put on while still warm.
- Let cool 5 minutes and cut in to squares. Store in air tight container in refrigerator.
Liked the Cherry Pie Squares? Try Simple Summer Cherry Pie