Hello Apple Pie lovers! May 13th is National Apple Pie Day and I have a few options for you. These Apple Pie Bars first caught my eye on Pinterest.
This is a great dessert to share at any BBQ in the summer or any holiday get together in the fall and winter. And if you like sweets for breakfast, this totally replaces a toaster strudel perfectly!
Do you have one of these choppers? You really should. With this type of apple dessert, you want the filling to be very finely chopped. I mean, really fine. It was perfect. I will keep this filling on hand for apple turnovers as well. NUM!!
If you love apple pie, be sure to try out my other recipes as well.
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust 2 crusts
- Vanilla Glaze
- 2 tablespoon half and half or milk
- 1 ¼ cup powder sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set pie crusts on counter to come to room temperature.
- Peel, slice and chop apples finely, I like to use my hand chopper.
- Place diced apples in a large mixing bowl and add lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir to coat apples.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, granulated and brown sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour flour mixture over apple mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Roll on pie crust in to an even circle. You only need to use your rolling pin a tiny bit to make the dough soft and flexible.
- Place bottom crust on an ungreased cookie sheet making sure the edges don't hang off.
- Spoon apple mixture over bottom crust leaving ½ inch boarder on the edges.
- Roll out second pie crust lightly and place on top of apple mixture. Fold together the edges and press to seal.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar mix if you like.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for atleast 30 minutes before cutting in to bars.
- Drizzle with glaze or serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Store bars in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Adapted from Cooking Classy
Liked my Apple Pie Bars? Try the Maple Apple Cake Bars
↓↓↓ And don't forget to share this recipe with your friends and family! ↓↓↓